» Building a foundation of respect - Part 2
Building a foundation of respect - Part 2
- Creating work sites that can adapt to the needs of a diverse workforce
- Understanding how diversity can benefit a work site and a company overall
A respectful workplace that fosters an environment that appreciates diversity and is inclusive of all workers:
- Diversity: Respecting an individual for his/her variety of dimensions, qualities and characteristics
- Inclusion: Creating a workplace culture that strives for equity and embraces, respects, accepts and values difference
- Diversity AND Inclusion: Capturing the uniqueness of the individual for her/his talents, skills and abilities for the benefit of the group
Did you know?
- All cultures have a worldview.
- A worldview is a collection of beliefs about life and the universe held by an individual or a group.
- Different cultures have different views about such things as competitiveness, individualism, sex and gender, and age and aging. Some cultures value individualism where other cultures value authority. For example, these worldviews affect how people work in teams.
DO YOU WORK IN A RESPECTFUL WORKPLACE?
5 signs you have a respectful workplace:
- People are working as a team - they share information; they support each other in getting work done.
- People are getting along with each other - they greet each other and are couteous, regardless of their rank, gender or cultural background.
- People are speaking up - they make well thought-out suggestions; they are not afraid to put across their point of view.
- People have very clear expectations - they understand their job and are able to do it; they have the resources to meet the expectations; they are encouraged to develop in their job.
- People are giving and taking feedback - frequently and respectfully.
OUR NEXT INSTALLMENT: What can you do to encourage respect in your workplace?
Previous installment: What is a respectful workplace?
- Lightle, Juliana and Elizabeth H. Doucet. Sexual Harassment in the Workplace. 2010. Axzo Press. Available online through the Toronto Public Library; accessed 02 November 2016
- ProActive Resolutions. 12 vital signs you have a respectful workplace. Available online. Accessed 11 November 2011.
- Canadian Centre for Diversity & Inclusion. Understanding Hidden Bias. 2014. Webinar.
- Canadian Centre for Diversity & Inclusion. Introduction to Cross Cultural Awareness. 2014. Webinar.
- JOIN THE CONVERSATION -
Why do you think respect at work is important? Does it make a difference to you?
This project has been funded by Status of Women Canada.