» Building a foundation of respect - Part 11
Building a foundation of respect - Part 11
- Leveraging the diversity in teams for high performance results
- Creating an inclusive workplace that encourages collaboration among team members with different genders, backgrounds, and circumstances
- Eliminate bias and assumptions about people of different genders, backgrounds, and circumstances
- Provide training on respect, inclusion awareness, and skills
- Provide training on team goal setting, decision making, communicating, conflict resolution, and problem solving
10 tips for problem solving in an inclusive team:
- Use active listening skills (see blog #9 for details)
- Communicate assertively, not aggressively
- Separate personalities from the problems to be solved
- Overcome bias and assumptions
- Focus on "larger picture" issues rather than individual positions
- Commit the time necessary, even if it means re-visiting the issue at a later time
- Commit to an outcome that is mutually acceptable
- Try to understand the reasons behind the positions people are taking
- Be imaginative and open-minded in arriving at a solution
- Commit to maintaining good working relationships
OUR NEXT INSTALLMENT: The benefits of mentorship
Previous installment: Developing effective verbal communication in a respectful and inclusive workplace.
- JOIN THE CONVERSATION -
How would you describe the qualities of a high-performing inclusive team?
This project has been funded by Status of Women Canada.