- Understanding the importance of effective listening skills in "inclusive" communication.
- Developing effective listening skills that help to eliminate barriers across genders, backgrounds or orientations.
- The fast pace and working conditions on a construction worksite may present obstacles to effective listening.
- Recognize that effective listening is a factor in "inclusive" communication across genders, backgrounds or orientations.
- Provide training to all workers to develop competency in effective listening.
Active listening is a technique of effective listening that can help to resolve workplace issues. In a diverse workplace, this may mean understanding a point of view from different genders, backgrounds and orientations.
10 techniques to improve your "active listening" skills:
- Motivate yourself to listen.
- Block out distractions.
- Separate content, feeling and the underlying message, and concentrate on each element separately.
- Do not judge the speaker or what you are hearing.
- Respect the other person's feelings and ideas.
- Do not provide advice or solve the other person's problem.
- Stop talking: this includes the words spoken in your head.
- Listen with the intent to focus on what you need to know in order to solve the issue.
- Refuse to blame.
- Listen for possibilities of a new or third option.
OUR NEXT INSTALLMENT: Developing effective verbal communication in a respectful and inclusive workplace.
- BuildForce Canada. "Communication, Negotiation, Conflict Resolution." Construction E-Learning Centre. Available at elearning.buildforce.ca.
- English, Laura M. and Sarah Lynn. Business Across Cultures: Effective Communication Strategies. 1995. Longman, New York, U.S.A.
- JOIN THE CONVERSATION -
Have you ever caught your mind wandering when listening to someone?
What methods do you use to prevent that?
This project has been funded by Status of Women Canada.